Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mary Ann Hurd is Dead

1929 U.S. Indian Census, Shawnee County, Oklahoma, population schedule, Shawnee Agency, individual number 427, Mary Ann Hurd Crumbo; digital image, Ancestry.com(http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 20 March 2010); NARA microfilm publication M595, roll 492.


How cool is that! I was completing a census search and found that Mary Ann Hurd had died before June 1929. I have not been able to find her death date as of yet. I lost her on the censuses so I assumed it was before 1930 but after I found this I can narrow the date down even more. Since the Indian censuses were taken yearly it is likely that Mary Ann died within that year (but I will still remember that not all Indian agents went out of their way to actually accurately take the census so it may be wrong). If nothing else it gives me an approximate year and that is a great start!

The only down side is that many of the vital record for the Potawatomi people is housed in the regional archives in either Texas or Kansas City. I haven't figure out which one yet.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go. Doesn't it feel so great when you find information? Each little step brings you closer to the information you need. Keep looking.

    ReplyDelete